Many types of building work will require planning permission. This is required for anything which results in an extension to buildings or site. It can also apply if you are wanting to use your premises for extra or alternative activities to its current uses. Some other examples may include a change to the use of the land or putting up adverts to promote your business.
How councils can help with planning permission
It is recommended that you contact your local council’s planning service before you submit a planning application to build, extend or convert a property to suit the needs of your business.
Pre-application advice can help identify any problems with your scheme before plans are submitted. This advice also may give an indication of the likely outcome of your planning application.
The planning rules do vary from area to area, so it is important you contact the council where your premises is located.
What they offer:
- advice on whether a planning application is necessary
- checks on the permitted use of a premises
- assistance in finding if existing planning permissions have conditions attached to them which may restrict their use
- advice when you are considering constructing new building(s), extensions to existing buildings, or changes to use of land or buildings
- information to help businesses negotiate the planning process
- consultation on planning applications with other statutory or non-statutory bodies
- help with planning problems
Where you can go for support
Contact the local council where your business is located:
West Offices building, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA
Phone: 01904 551553
Harrogate Borough Council, Planning Services, PO Box 787, Harrogate, HG1 9RW
Phone: 01423 500600 ask for Planning Enquiries
Hambleton District Council, Civic Centre, Stone Cross, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2UU
Phone: 01609 779977
Planning Department, Belle Vue Mills, Broughton Road, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 1FJ
Phone: 01756 706470
Mercury House, Station Road, Richmond, North Yorkshire, DL10 4JX
Phone: 01748 829100
Ryedale House, Malton, North Yorkshire, YO17 7HH
Phone: 01653 600666
Customer First Centre, Town Hall, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 2HG
Phone: 01723 232323
In Person – Access Selby, 8-10 Market Cross, Selby, YO8 4JS
Phone: 01757 705101
If you want information on how to appeal against a planning decision, you can visit the government website.
If you need additional support or want to discuss your planning application further, you can get in touch and our team will be able to point you in the right direction.