Business rates and where to find help

If you are occupying a business premises, then you will need to pay business rates to your local council. Even if you are working from home, the part of your property used for business may be liable to business rates. Although, small business relief may be available in some circumstances. If you are moving to a different premise, you can find out the rateable value by contacting your local council or using the Valuation Office Agency.

How councils can help with business rates

Occupiers of non-domestic properties pay non-domestic rates which contribute towards the cost of local services to support your business. The councils collect the business rates, and this money then goes towards paying for services provided by them, as well as the Police and Crime Commissioner and the Fire and Rescue Authority.

Councils can:

  • advise on how much you will have to pay, if you have a particular property in mind;
  • ensure that you receive any relief or exemption that you are entitled to;
  • set up an account for you and give the maximum available number of instalments for payment;
  • advise on the best way to pay;

Where to go for support

Contact the council where your business is located:

City of York Council: West Offices building, Station Rise, York, YO1 6GA. Phone: 01904 551553. Email:

North Yorkshire Council: County Hall, Racecourse Lane, Northallerton, DL7 8AD. Phone: 0300 131 2131.

Further information

Valuation Office Agency

Contact us to learn more about support available to businesses in York and North Yorkshire with York & North Yorkshire Growth Hub.