The Growth Hub is proud to be amongst the organisers of this year’s expanded York Business Festival, with a week of events as part of a wider programme of activity throughout November. Read on to learn what will be available through the Growth Hub and other organisations.
The Business Festival takes place through five weeks in November, with Growth Hub activities taking place on the 8th, 9th & 10th.
Tuesday 8th November
How can retail, leisure and other visitor economy businesses in York city centre grow and thrive in the current uncertain economic climate? This event provides an invaluable opportunity for new and growing B2C businesses in York to learn some of the skills and resources to help them meet these challenges.
As part of the York Business Festival, York & North Yorkshire Growth Hub will provide a series of FREE workshops that aim to inspire and educate, providing practical advice on the essentials of starting and growing a B2C business, covering finance, marketing, and the customer experience – all delivered by leading experts.
The day takes place in York’s historic Guildhall, where businesses in York are welcome to drop in all day for the dedicated networking sessions over breakfast and lunch (FREE breakfast or lunch if you register). Come along throughout the day and use the space to have a meeting, catch up with peers, and meet local service providers, in a friendly, relaxed environment.
What does the future hold for retail and leisure businesses and visitor attractions in York? As we continue to build back from the pandemic, the nature of the city centre is in flux. Understanding these trends, and how businesses can navigate a difficult economic environment is more crucial than ever for businesses in York. The discussion, chaired by renowned business journalist and broadcaster, Simon Jack, will cover topics related to the future of the city centre as a retail and leisure destination, and will feature local business owners, leaders and experts.
Join us for a chance to hear experts share insights and experience on the challenges facing us – from increased costs, to funding, e-commerce and the role of local and regional bodies.
Plus a chance to listen, talk to and learn from a panel of successful York-based entrepreneurs and business owners about the opportunities and keys to success for businesses in York. All while enjoying a drink and a snack, and a chance to talk with peers in York’s historic Guildhall.
Wednesday 9th November
Thursday 10th November
Innovation and Manufacturing Event, with Leyton, Innovate UK and Made Smarter
A month of events
York Business Festival has been expanded from previous years to cover a full month, with weeks dedicated to particular areas. More information on the wider month’s activities, and links to book your place, are available on the York Business Festival website
Week 1 : Closer to home – an economy driven by good business
November 1st, 2nd, 3rd
The benefits of ethical business – York as the first Good Business Charter City – strengthening links between business and community – working together and the benefits of business networks and associations.
- Welcome to York Business Festival
- Support for growing small businesses in York
- Economic impact on business and preparing a business for capital investment
- Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG), a guide to good business
Week 2 : Thriving businesses – creating the right conditions for sustainable growth
November 8th, 9th, 10th
The help that is out there for businesses as they change and grow. The role of infrastructure in supporting the economy. Workspace in a post pandemic world – hybrid and flexible working and how businesses are adapting. Future proofing York’s economic space, from the city centre to our business estates.
Growth Hub Events
- Tuesday 8th November – Daytime at the Guildhall : Growing your business in challenging times
- Tuesday 8th November – Evening at the Guildhall : The Past and Future of York City Centre
- Wednesday 9th November – Culco : Workplace Culture,Recruitment & Retention Workshop with Progress Marketing
- Thursday 10th November : Pro-Development : People Manager Fundamentals
- Thursday 10th November : Innovation and Manufacturing Event
Week 3 : Reducing carbon – a greener economy
November 15th, 16th, 17th
The challenge for businesses as they seek to reduce their carbon footprints, understand their environmental impact, reduce energy use and keep short- and long-term costs down. The role of the green economy and initiatives such as BioYorkshire will also come through strongly.
- Dealing with the cost of energy
- Green Skills and Supply Chains
- Green Business Forum
- The Challenges facings small business and top tips for resilience this winter
- Sustainable Hospitality: Save Money, Save The Planet
- Opportunities in York’s Green Economy
Week 4 : Developing our people – a thriving workforce
November 22nd, 23rd, 24th
Helping the people of York develop the skills and attributes needed in the 21st century economy. Work-life blend and getting the most from your employees. Health and wellbeing and the role of businesses as employers and providers. Strengthening links between education and business to help young people thrive. The potential of career changers and retraining to provide the workforce of the future.
- Introduction to Virtual Reality
- Building a resilient & agile workforce
- Inclusive Recruitment Workshop
- Can the bioeconomy benefit your business?
Week 5 : Looking outwards – York as a global city
November 29th, 30th
How our economy relates to the world beyond the York boundary; import, export and trade; inward investment; attracting customers from elsewhere. This theme is about links with places outside of York, and will no doubt have an international feel, but also can look at links much closer to home. We will also want to focus on York and North Yorkshire & the York City Region, and what opportunities devolution might bring for businesses.
- Growing Your Global Business: From First International Sale to Strategic Export Plan
- Young Entrepreneurs Networking Breakfast
- All the World’s a Stage: Creative Sector Digitalisation and the Global Opportunities
- Opportunities in Emerging Bioeconomies: Collaborating across the Business Network
- Food & Drink Trade Show Workshop
More information on the wider month’s activities, and links to book your place, are available on the York Business Festival website